Activities Requiring a Building Permit

  • New construction
  • Additions to existing buildings - including garages, porches, decks, etc.
  • Interior work that requires structural work
  • Finishing off of basements
  • Swimming pools
  • Sheds, barns, garages, greenhouses
  • Wood and gas stoves, fireplaces
  • Roofing, siding, and replacement windows
  • Signs
  • Demolition
  • Electrical service changes and repairs
  • Electric, plumbing,, heating, air conditioning and oil tank work done in connection with a building permit require separate permits for each
  • Other miscellaneous construction as required by law. Call the Building Office with any questions or for clarifications

A Zoning Permit is also required for new construction, additions, out building, pools, signs etc.

Homeowners are urged to verify that all contractors have the proper licenses and insurance to do the work they are hired to do. Electricians, Plumbers and HVAC installers are licensed by the State of Connecticut. Home improvements contractors and new home builders must also be registered with the State of Connecticut.