Engineering Department

The Town of North Branford Engineering Department provides technical support to Town Boards, Commissions and Departments. The Engineering Department also provides survey, design and field inspections for public works improvement projects, conducts technical reviews of subdivision and site plans for the Planning and Zoning Commission and Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Commission applications. Engineering staff provides municipal records and mapping to the public. 

Additionally, the Town Engineer is responsible for the administration of the Sewer Department on behalf of the North Branford Water Pollution Control Authority and acts as the Town's Flood Plain administrator.

The Engineering Department also issues Sanitary Sewer Connection Permits, Road Opening (Excavation) Permits, processes "Call Before You Dig" requests for municipal sanitary sewer facilities, and administers the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) mandated Stormwater Management Program. Please check the items listed below for additional information and forms.

Stormwater Management Plan

The Stormwater Management Plan (SMP) prepared by the Town of North Branford was prepared in response to the NPDES Phase II program as administered by the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (CTDEEP). The Phase II program is administered by CTDEEP through a General Permit for the Discharge of Stormwater from Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (MS4). The original General Permit was issued in 2004 and extended through 2017, with the current MS4 General Permit going into effect on July 1, 2017.

Under the general permit requirements, the Town of North Branford is required to develop and implement a stormwater management plan that details how the Town will address six minimum control measures. The stormwater management plan was prepared with the overall goal of reducing the discharge of pollutants to the "maximum extent practicable" to protect water quality. Read on to learn more and to see how you can make a difference.

The six minimum control measures addressed in the SMP are as follows:

  • Public education and Outreach
  • Public Involvement and Participation
  • Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
  • Citizen Reporting of "Suspected" Illicit Discharge
    The public may report suspected illicit discharges or connections to the town by calling the Town Engineer at 203-484-6009, or emailing the Town Engineer.
  • Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control
  • Post Construction Stormwater Management
  • Pollution Prevention and Good Housekeeping

Learn More & Review Additional Information

Review the Plan & Annual Reports

Street Lights

  • Reporting a problem:
    The Town is served by the United Illuminating Company in the southern part of North Branford and by Wallingford Electric in the northern part of Town. Check the utility pole to determine which utility serves your area and call the responsible utility to report the outage. Please provide the utility with the pole number from the utility pole (numbers at eye level), or if not possible, the street name, nearest cross street, and the address of the nearest home or business.
    • Wallingford Electric: 203-294-2273
    • United Illuminating Co: 203-499-2290
  • Procedure for Street Light Requests (PDF)